- "I will do anything to conquer Serdio even if I have to sell my soul to the devil."
Emperor Doel (皇帝ドウエル, Kōtei Dōeru, "Emperor Doyle") is a major character in the first disc of the Legend of Dragoon. He is the leader of the Imperial Sandora who seeks to conquer all of Serdio and become a much more powerful ruler than his late brother, King Carlo. His nephew is Albert.
Early in the game, Doel is antagonistic as he is hungry for power and tyrannical control. Before the death of his wife Empress Katrina, he was a man of frailty and fondness. However after he was defeated by the Dragoons, he shown his true nature once more, a caring and nice man. Also, saying that he is proud to his nephew for becoming a lot stronger.
Chapter 1: Serdian WarEditDoel, after killing his brother Carlo, created his own country on the south end of Serdio. Since then Doel has been at war with Bale to get control of all of Serdio. Until recently the war has been evenly matched but Sandora has gained a dragon tipping the balance of power in their favor. Emperor Doel ordered the capture of Shana as requested by his adviser Lloyd, which was led by the Great Commander who invaded and scorched Seles. He also ordered the attacks on Hoax and the Fort of Seventh Knighthood in Marshlands so that he can kidnap King Albert when Dart and friends are pursuing the dragon at the Nest of Dragon.
Lavitz is killed by the Dragon Buster when he attacks Lloyd, after seeing Lloyd taking the Moon Gem out of King Albert's body. Even with his Dragoon Armour, it is a mere shroud to the Dragon Buster. After the death of Lavitz, Dart, Rose, Shana, Haschel and their new companion King Albert decide to go to the Black Castle in Kazas to get answers from Doel after King Albert told them about the Moon Gem. With the help of Popo, they are able to gain access to the Black Castle.
After the battle with Kongol they are able to meet the Emperor face to face. King Albert asked Doel why he wanted to kill his father, Doel says he wants to dispose the incapable ruler and take over Serdio. When Dart asked why he ordered the kidnap of Shana in Seles, he told him that she was the child that waxes under the Moon That Never Sets. It was Emperor Diaz who ordered the capture of Shana, he told, but Rose said this is impossible as Diaz died as a normal man during the Dragon Campaign. But Emperor Doel challenge them to fight for the answers if they want them, and they did. The team defeated and wounded Doel after the long battle. Before he dies, Emperor Doel told Albert to pursue Lloyd who is in the western country of Tiberoa and find out more about the world.
Battle At Black CastleEdit
|Emperor Doel (Kazas)|
During battle, Doel uses a variety of attacks. The attacks he uses are listed below.
- Main Attack: Doel slashes one party member two times, then lifts them of the ground with his blades and slams them on the ground.
- Secondary Attack: Doel stabs his 2 swords on the ground, then he and the swords start glowing yellow and start spinning around him and then he throws both of his swords at one party member
- Charge Burst: Doel shoots two electric waves from his sword, then raises his sword and charges electrical energy to it and shoots it out at a party member.
- Barrier: Doel puts up a purple electric barrier that makes him immune to all damage.
- Judgment Storm: Doel throws one of his swords up in the air over the party's head and charges an electrical storm, then he slashes each party member, then he flies up and grabs his sword where he absorbs all of the storms energy into the blade and sends the energy down towards the party with a swoop of his blade, the energy descends down on the party and explodes in an electrical explosion. This is the strongest attack.
- Random Thunder: Doel spins around and releases a random thunder magic that deals major damage. He uses this often when he started to form a barrier around him.
The battle with Doel begins right after the battle with Kongol, so it is a smart idea to have some Healing Potions and Angel's Prayers, and the battle shouldn't last very long, or have very powerful magic attacks ready.
He is fairly strong, but if the player have enough Healing Potions and Angel's Prayer's he can be defeated. It also does not hurt to use the strongest additions. On a side note, his Barrier is actual based on time, so it is possible to defeat Doel BEFORE he can raise the barrier. As always, it is a good time to heal with items or guard when the barrier is up. Having the all three party members at Dragoon level 3 makes it easier. The dragoon magic can deal a lot of damage to him, but turning into dragoon after he raises the Barrier will waste any turn give you disadvantages as you cannot heal yourself or attack him as he's invulnerable. </div>
Battle At MoonEdit
The heroes encounter Doel again on the Moon as Albert's challenge. This is a fairly easy battle. His two swords must be defeated before attacking Doel directly. Interestingly enough, his swords are named Shadow Blade and Light Sword, yet they are named opposite than one would expect. (The white sword is the Shadow Blade, and the black and red sharp blade is the Light Sword) Maybe as a metaphor they mean that things aren't always as they seem.
The attacks Doel uses are listed below.
- Attack: Doel slashes one party member two times, then he lifts the of the ground with his blades and slams them on the ground.
- Cape Bolt: Doel shoots four bolts from his cape.
- In Doel's castle, it is mentioned by the magical researchers there that the magic they study was obtained by studying the corpse of a dragon. Below the chamber, there is the corpse of a violet dragon suspended in the air. Considering its color, the color of the magic oil that powers the lifts, and the fact that all dragoons can summon and control at least one dragon, one is easily led to the conclusion that Emperor Doel sacrificed his dragon for magical research.
|Dart Feld · Lavitz Slambert · Shana · Rose · Haschel · Albert · Meru · Kongol · Miranda|
|Melbu Frahma · Zieg · Emperor Diaz · Lloyd · Lenus · Doel · Fruegel · Virage · Black Monster|
|Martel · Fester · Princess Emille · Charle Frahma|